Friday, March 28, 2008

Day spa dreaming


It could only happen to me.

Last November, my lovely Mum-in-law gave me a voucher for my birthday. I love birthday vouchers, and this one was a winner. I was the lucky recipient of a day out at the Dome spa at the Brisbane Marriott – massage, facial, sauna, and champagne high tea by the pool.

But I’ve been so busy with work and family, that – typically – I haven’t had time to use it. I mean, who gets a day all to themselves? We’re all so busy, we’re lucky to get an hour.

After a particularly nasty week – hubby away at work, fighting with Chase about homework, a scary credit card bill, a couple of sick kids – oh, and did I mention Narnie cat peeing in Harmonie’s Easter egg basket? I finally snapped.

“I never get to do anything for myself,” I raved. “I’m booking my day spa. And you’re looking after the kids!”

To his credit, Kyle didn’t blink. “Okay,” he said. “Do it next weekend.” As simple as that.

And all this week, I’ve been waiting. My creaky back, stiff neck, and clicky hips have been aching more than usual, but I’ve put off my regular physio, knowing I’m booked in for a hot stone massage today. Oh, it’s going to be bliss.

I wake bright and early, hop in the shower, and I’m just getting changed into what I like to call ‘casual spa wear’, when the phone rings.

It’s the Marriott Dome. My therapist has phoned in sick. My Big Day Out has been cancelled. Of course it has!

“Tell them it’s not good enough,” says Kyle. “Tell them you’ve rearranged your schedule to go today, and you won’t get another chance for ages.”

But I figure, it’s not the poor girl on the phone’s fault. And people get sick. These things happen. No point in getting angry.

And so I find myself back at the computer, before a busy day catching up on housework. Yes, it’s not quite what I had in mind, but I guess things could be worse.

Kyle’s still taking the kids out for the morning, there’s a bottle of bubbly in the fridge, and I still have my spa day to look forward to.

I just need to find time to fit it in!

No comments: