Monday, June 9, 2008

The long weekend



Left: The kids and their cubby

It was a long weekend, here in Oz, and with Kyle home for a few days, we decided to dedicate it to Quality Family Time.
On Saturday, Kyle rewarded my long stint of solo parenting by watching Enchanted with the kids, while I did some pester-free shopping on my own. While I was a bit Meh about having to miss some time with McDreamy, the chance to shop alone was too good to refuse. Oh, the bliss! I’d forgotten how wonderful it was to spend money without:
· Having to buy a lot of expensive crap
· Refusing to buy a lot of expensive crap and enduring the tantrums which result
· Chasing kids from one end of the supermarket to the other
· Lugging around a five-year-old when her legs get tired (which is every five minutes)
· Screaming like a fishwife when one of the kids plays up (which is every five minutes).
· Saying No. A lot.
The kids spent much of the day building and playing in a cubby in the front yard. The dogs and cats joined in the fun too, while Kyle and I pottered around in the background.
Next morning we headed to the markets for breakfast and let the kids spend the money they earned for sleeping in their own beds while Kyle was away. ($1 per night. A bit steep I know, but me getting a good night’s sleep? Priceless).
We didn't forget the dogs. They ended up with some snazzy winter coats. See?


Left: Zack in his winter finery, and the pair of them (below).


Sunday afternoon involved art and crafts (below),

reading, and a relaxing barbie with friends that evening.
Finally, on Monday, there was a day of cooking (left) and just hanging out. In the afternoon, Kyle took Harmonie shopping, while I played the piano with Chase.
I rounded off the weekend, with a couple of glasses of red and the latest episode of Desperate Housewives, while Kyle caught up on WOW.
You know, in the old days, pre-kids, our quiet weekend probably wouldn’t have rated. But these days, a few days at home are just what the doctor ordered.
How do other parents spend family weekends? I’d love to hear what you get up to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the busy world of parenting! Nice site! Fun reading!

MrsDesperate said...

Thanks for visiting!