Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rant of the Week

Left: Chase and his little sister Harmonie when she was a few weeks old. At that stage I was still hobbling around with a walking stick (giving birth played havoc with my arthritis), coping with sore boobs, wiping up projectile vomit, changing nappies and was so exhausted, I hadn't even thought about exercising! Obviously, I'm not a supermum like J-Lo!



Okay, now I’ve heard it all.
New mum Jennifer Lopez is reportedly rising every morning at 4 am.
Yes, I know that’s not unusual when you’ve got a newborn (and Jen has twins), but get this. She’s not getting up to feed them, change their nappy and lay them gently back to bed before collapsing in exhaustion herself.
Oh no. This yummy mummy is rising at 4 am to exercise FOR THREE HOURS.
Are you kidding me?
Okay, I get that her looks are part of her job, and she needs to look good. But the poor pet just had a c-section 4 weeks ago. She’s just produced two minature human beings. Her life has changed forever. Doesn’t she need to take time out to get to know her babies – and find her feet as a Mum?
Apparently, there are a team of nannies and even a baby masseuse on board to keep things running smoothly, so there’s no suggestion that the little ones are being neglected.
J-Lo, I’m not so sure about. As well as her gruelling exercise routine, she’s cut her daily food intake to 1400 calories a day, and banned all carbs. Hmm, obviously mustn’t be breastfeeding then. Or if she is, she must be starving!
As well, she’s announced she plans to run a triathlon in a few months.
“I want to make my babies proud,” she says.
Forget about making them proud, just be their Mum, that’s what I say.
I don’t know about you, but four weeks after the birth of my children I was physically and emotionally a mess.
My body was still healing, my hormones sent me up and down, and the rigours of parenting a newborn meant I hardly had a minute to myself. Exercise was taking the babies for a walk, and I tried to eat and drink well to keep my milk supply up.
Of course, I didn’t lose 40 pounds in four weeks like J-Lo has (don’t tell anyone, but I’m still trying to lose my baby weight), but at least I escaped with my sanity mostly intact! And I got to spend loads of quality time getting to know my babies and learning to be their mum.
Is she still Jenny From The Block – or just off her block?

No comments: